AJ Hackett with his friend Henry Van Asch, had seen a film on a Vanuatu manhood ritual that involved a simple bungee like jump.
The idea was triggered, and Hackett made a reputation for himself by trying his bungy jumping antics as many saw them in the early days, from different buildings and heights including the Auckland Harbour Bridge.
He has since caused much excitement by bungy jumping off the Auckland Sky Tower, the highest in the Southern Hemisphere at 192 metres.
That was an official jump this time!
The original bungy site in Queenstown at the Kawarau Bridge is still one of the most popular. As is always the case, more bungy jumps have been developed around the world, and also New Zealand, where there are now over ten different bungee experiences.
You can try a small adrenaline rush, and progress to the ultimate heart pounding, adrenaline rush .You could, if you were so inclined, plan a full New Zealand Tour around bungy jumps, as you travel through the country. Each has its own special features to make you face the fear!
Starting in Auckland there are two, with another experience just right for bugy addicts, to get you started.
- The Auckland Harbour Bridge Bungy Jump
- The Auckland Sky Tower Jump
- The Auckland Sky walk is not a jump – but equally adrenaline pumping!
- Rotorua Bungy Jump -is one of several activities at Agroventures to increase your heart rate!
- Taupo Bungy above the Waiaraki River allows you to jump solo or in tandem for a shared experience.
- Mokai Gravity Canyon near Taihape in the Central North Island has several choices including the highest tandem swing on the world.
- Thrill Seeker Canyon – at Waiau River Bridge near Hanmer Springs in the South Island, this is a good starter, being the smallest.
- Mt Hutt Bungy Jump – this is one for the snowboarders! Yes, you read it correctly!
- .Kawarau Bridge – Not only the FIRST New Zealand bungy jump site, but the first anywhere.
- The Ledge near Queenstown – You choose from several fear factor options
- The Ledge Bungy Sky Swing is another option
- Skippers Canyon -is a 71 m jump to the Shotover River Gorge
- Nevis Highwire – The highest bungy jump in New Zealand and the only one of its kind. This one is the Ultimate test!
By this time you will have lurched your way from Auckland to Queenstown and MAY be ready to keep your feet firmly on the ground!