Strawberries are officially a superfood! They taste great, are versatile cooking ingredients, are available all year around, and the nutrition they offer is through the roof. Eating strawberries regularly has been shown to provide a variety of health benefits.
Any good nutrition regime is going to include high amounts of antioxidants, particularly Vitamin C, flavonoids, phytochemicals, and ellagic acid. Strawberries have all this, plus they are also rich in folate, iodine, potassium, and magnesium. This rich variety of healthy components is what makes strawberries such a great superfood. Here are just 10 of the health benefits strawberries provide:
1. Boost your Immune System – a strong immune system helps you fight off infections and disease, both large and small.
2. Fight Cancer – a lot of different cancers. The high levels of ellagic acid are especially helpful here since it can render cancer causing molecules ineffective. Studies have shown that strawberries’ abilities to fight free radicals and work against potentially cancerous cells can fight breast, esophagus, pancreas, prostate, colon, and skin cancer.
3. Maintain Good Eyesight – the antioxidants and potassium can both fight macular degeneration in different ways. The elimination of free radicals helps prevent cataracts and degeneration of the optical nerve, preserving your eyesight. The potassium helps maintain the right amount of pressure on your eyes so you don’t experience ocular disturbance.
4. Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease – strawberries fight against the free radicals that attack brain tissue as you age, keeping your brain younger, which can slowdown or even avoid, the progression of Alzheimer’s. The iodine also works to promote strong brain function.
5. Fight Wrinkles – this may mean more for your mental health than your physical health, but it’s still worthwhile. Strawberries help your skin build collagen (the component that keeps your skin firm), which usually starts to decline with age.
6. Acts as an Anti-Inflammatory – strawberries power to prevent inflammation is another way they keep your skin looking young. However, this health benefit also helps prevent joint ache and arthritis.
7. Great Source of Fiber – no one wants waste to accumulate in their intestines, but it’s hard to eat enough fiber to keep things moving along. Strawberries are a rich source of fiber that can keep your intestines clean and help slowdown your blood’s absorption of sugar.
8. Fight Heart Disease – strawberries do this by reducing the bad type of cholesterol that can lead to plaque build up on your heart. The Vitamin B nutrients in strawberries make your heart muscles stronger.
9. Regulate Your Blood Pressure – The magnesium and potassium in strawberries counteracts many of the effects of too much salt that could otherwise result in high blood pressure. This is another way strawberries also help prevent coronary disease.
10. Healthy Babies – the folate in strawberries can prevent birth defects. Ingesting high amounts of folate during pregnancy can help with the healthy development of your baby’s spinal cord, skull, and brain. The earlier in your pregnancy you start eating the strawberries, the better it will be.