I’m sure you’ve noticed, as have I, our politicians, who claim to represent our interests, often vote, in some other manner! Whether it’s because of fears, lack of a backbone, self – interest, greed, or some combination of factors, when crucial votes are taken, it often seems, these individuals care less about the electorate, than it would appear, they should! How else can you explain, politicians voting strictly along party – lines, rather than focusing on needs, concerns and priorities? Consider this recent health care legislation, which some are attempting to portray as a better alternative, to the existing Affordable Care Act (ACA, referred to as Obamacare). While the campaign rhetoric blamed the original plan, and said they would repeal, and replace, with a better program, in terms of costs, coverage, etc, this proposal, certainly, accomplishes none of those. While the existing program was certainly flawed, it was an improvement over what used to exist, so, the responsible approach, would have been modifying, tweaking, and improving it, this approach appears to be more about creating significant tax advantages, for the richest Americans, while eliminating coverage (or limiting it), to those who, often, need it most! Let’s examine the 5 options, elected officials face, regarding where their allegiance goes.
1. Nation: Shouldn’t the best interests of the nation, be a priority over any self – interest, party loyalty, fears, and/ or quest for political advantage/ votes? Ideally, it should, but, all – too – often, it does not!
2. Party: Listen to the rhetoric regarding the upcoming vote on this legislation, and you’ll observe, it’s more polarizing, than unifying! Never before, has there been so many times, votes were almost entirely along party lines! Ask your official, is their allegiance to what’s best for you, or to their party?
3. President: Obviously, there are many unique aspects of the current President! Some make prefer these, while many do not! However, should other elected officials simply play follow – the – leader, either due to fear of ramifications, or political defeat, rather than fulfill their responsibility, to be an independent component, of our Constitutional system, of Checks and Balances?
4. Constituents: These individuals are elected to be the representatives of their constituents, but, this should be based on the best approaches, and long – term ramifications, needs and priorities, rather than based on polarization!
5. Your conscience: In the final analysis, one must pursue the path, his conscience tells him, is best! Every time, I observe the legislative process, I wonder whether some of these politicians possess one! However, if you believe as I do, that, down – deep, most people are basically good, we must emphasize, to elected officials, to do the right thing, rather than either the expedient one, or the one, based on fear of retribution, etc!
Who do you believe, a public official, should owe his allegiance to? Let yours know, you expect a certain level of behavior, and responsible action!