Although many automobile accidents are minor it is important to take steps to protect your interests.

Colorado law requires certain steps be taken after a car accident:

  1. Eliminate any hazard caused by a disabled car. Move the car and the occupants to a safe location.
  2. If anyone is injured call 911.
  3. Once at a safe location, exchange insurance information with the other driver. Even if you do not appear to be injured or even if the other driver asks you not to report this to your insurance company you should be sure to obtain the other driver’s license and insurance information. Injuries are not always apparent and failure to obtain the other driver’s insurance information could prevent you from having some insurance coverage although you previously paid for it and from making certain insurance claims.
  4. Report the collision to your insurance company if there is any property damage or injuries.
  5. If you have been injured, consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer to learn your rights.

In most auto or motorcycle accident cases, attorneys can assist you in recovering the property damage to your vehicle, your medical bills and lost wages, and other related expenses. In addition, if you sustained a serious injury, you may also be entitled to recover damages for pain and suffering, physical impairment, scarring and disfigurement, and diminished capacity for the enjoyment of life.

Colorado Wrongful Death Act

If a loved one dies as a result of an auto accident, their survivors and estate may be entitled to recover damages for mental pain and suffering, loss of support and services, loss of the decedent’s companionship, as well as medical and funeral expenses.

If you or a loved one is injured or dies as a result of a car or motorcycle accident, you need the advice and assistance of an experienced, dedicated and aggressive Colorado personal injury attorney who can explain the Colorado’s Wrongful Death Act to you and seek recovery for you under the Act.

Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Every case is different and should be evaluated by an attorney.