If you recently started getting hemorrhoids than I am sure you have used the over the counter stuff to relieve the pain and even cure them. However, this cure has just been temporary and you might have noticed that the hemorrhoids flare ups have come more often than they did in the past.
There are many things that can cause hemorrhoids to flare up. The most common cause is due to constipation and hard stools. Others might be alcohol, too much caffeine, poor diet, and lack of exercise. Basically anything that can aggravate the thin-walled hemorrhoids veins in the rectum and cause them to swell.
Let me break down how some of these things can cause hemorrhoids flare ups.
How can Alcohol and Caffeine cause hemorrhoids? When you drink too much alcohol you tend to dehydrate the body. This can cause constipation and hard stools which causes hemorrhoids to flare up do to the added pressure from straining. Alcohol and Caffeine can also increase your blood pressure and since the hemorrhoids veins and thin-walled they can often seep blood or break and bleed from the increase in blood pressure.
- Alcohol – Now I am not saying you can’t drink alcohol all together, but you should limit your drinking to just 1 or 2 drinks at a setting. Then drink one or two glasses of water afterwards to help keep yourself hydrated.
- Caffeine – Don’t worry coffee drinkers, I am not saying you can’t have your coffee. Actually there are many health benefits to drinking coffee. However, now days a lot of people are drinking coffee, tea, or soda and then drinking several energy drinks as well. Energy drinks are very high in caffeine and if you have too much this it can cause hypertension, high blood pressure, and irregular heart beat. Some energy drinks even have a warning label about how much you should drink. Moderation is the key for coffee, tea, or soda however, I will not indorse energy drinks that’s your choice.
- How can a poor diet cause hemorrhoids to flare up? With are high pace life style it is easy to take short cuts on eating healthy. Many people these days often skip meals or eat low fiber processed foods, A low fiber diet can lead to constipation and hard stools and this is the leading cause of hemorrhoids.
- Fiber – Do not just jump into a high fiber diet to cure your hemorrhoids. This can make your constipation worse and plug yourself up. You should increase your fiber slowly over a few weeks and drink more water as well. You best bet will be to eat natural high fiber foods and stay away from the fiber supplements for the first few weeks. You might find that you won’t even need those when your eating healthy.
- How can lack of exercise cause hemorrhoids? Lack of exercise will slow down the digestive process and cause the bowel to sit in your intestine then cause constipation and hard dry stools.
- Exercise – When you exercise you increase the blood flow to your stomach and intestine and this will speed up the digestion process. This can help you have soft normal stools and make your more regular.
Many people are guilty of one or more of these things combined. Finding out what is causes your hemorrhoids to flare up is key to solving this problem for good. That is why natural home remedies are becoming so popular for dealing with hemorrhoids.