Is there a fruit sweeter than strawberries? In a recent poll, more than 38% of kids and 33% of adults ranked strawberries as their very favorite fruit. In fact, 46% of us eat strawberries every week. And we couldn’t pick a healthier snack. Strawberries are a low-calorie nutritional powerhouse. One cup of strawberries contains only 43 calories and that cup of berries is packed with vitamins and minerals, including 140% of your RDA of vitamin C. Strawberries are also high in fiber, folate, potassium and antioxidants, so indulging in your favorite fruit is a tasty way to prevent heart disease, high blood pressure and some kinds of cancer.
From enjoying them straight out of the carton to the centerpiece of our favorite mid-summer dessert, Strawberry Shortcake, strawberries are sweet, easy to eat and super versatile. Here are 10 more ways to indulge your love of America’s favorite fruit.
- Add a cup of strawberries to a smoothie for a cool and refreshing treat.
- Slice and stem a pint of strawberries and sprinkle with sugar. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes and serve drizzled over a piece of angel food cake.
- Strawberry Glazed pie is a showstopper. Fill a pie crust with vanilla pudding. Cover the pudding with a mound of strawberries, stems removed. Pour heated apricot jelly over the strawberries and refrigerate for 1 hour. Beautiful!
- Cut up strawberries, top with whipped cream and roll into crepes for an elegant brunch.
- For a weekend treat, mash a pint of strawberries with a tablespoon of sugar. Let sit for 30 minutes and serve over pancakes or waffles topped with whipped cream.
- Strawberries make a great edible garnish. Add 3 or 4 to your dinner plate any night of the week..
- Remove stems and slice into cereal or granola for a sweet, fruity taste.
- Toss sliced strawberries with baby greens, walnuts, blue cheese crumbles and vinaigrette for a fresh salad.
- Make a dessert parfait by adding sliced strawberries to yogurt or pudding.
- Serve over a slice of cheesecake or poundcake for an extra sweet touch.
So go ahead and do your body good by enjoying an extra helping of strawberries. They are a delicious, healthy taste of summertime, anytime of the year.