Attitude is defined as ones’ feelings or mood – Positive or negative – toward things, circumstances or people. No matter how you may choose to define attitude,it is one of your “most priceless” or disabling possessions. Attitude will shape your career. A great attitude will propel you forward, while a poor attitude will get you fired.
You, and only you, are in charge of your attitude! You must realize that your attitudeis your choice to make, and that you alone can decide how to deal with events in your life. Your attitudewill determine how you position yourself in life and what you get or don’t get out of life.
Attitude is important because attitude trulyis everything! It drives virtually every decision you make and how you live each day of your life. Your attitude either propels you forward or holds you back.
Attitude is a reflection of the person inside, and while the external circumstances in your life can be chaotic, with a great attitudeyou can sill chart your path.
Viktor Frankel, psychologist and survivor of the World War II holocaust, observed a few men in the concentration camps walking through the huts comforting others, giving proof that everything can be taken from a human, but the last of human freedoms – the choice of ones attitude in any given circumstance – can not be taken.
The following points should be kept close at hand and read until they become the way you live your life on a daily basis.
• My job is to choose what kind of a day I want to have.
• I can tear myself down with negative self-talk or build myself up with “positive self-talk.”
• I can complain because of the rain or be thankful the grass is getting watered for free.
• I can feel sad that I don’t have more money or glad my present finances encourage me to plan my purchase wisely.
• I can complain about my health or be glad I am alive.
• I can complain about my lack of friends or a broken relationship, or go out and discover new friends and develop new relationships.
• I can complain because I have to go to school or open my mind and fill it with rich new knowledge.
• I can complain about having to go to work or appreciate the fact I am fortunate to have a job to go to.
• I can wait and see how my day will shape up and be, or I can plan and shape it to be rewarding and a positive experience.
• What today will be… is to a great degree up to me. My attitude… really determines my attitude.
Having a great attitude is not the result of having a great life; having a great life is the result of having a great attitude! Are you getting the results you want out of your life?