Drop your iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS in the washing machine? If that’s so, here’s what you need to do without delay to help save your iPhone 3gs or iPhone 4. If this article’s step-by-step guide doesn’t show results, there’s information in the bottom on how to work with Apple to correct your iPhone 3gs/iPhone 4 or get a new one from the Apple Store.
Basic Steps to go by for that water spoiled iPhone.
1. SHUT OFF THE IPHONE RIGHT AWAY!
2. DO NOT TURN ON THE PHONE until finishing all of the steps. Flipping on the iPhone when there is water inside may cause the phone to short circuit.
3. Take off your iPhone cover and then remove the SimCard.
4. Shake out any additional water.
5. Use a blow dryer on the lowest heat for 15 minutes and try to heat up the phone lightly so that any existing water can easily escape from the phone. Use low heat!
6. Stick the iPhone in a bag of uncooked rice and be certain that it is completely covered. Switch the rice each day. The uncooked rice will certainly soak up moisture and helps take out any additional water within the iPhone. Leave the iPhone in the rice for 48-72 hours for ideal results.
7. Take your iPhone out of the rice and confirm if it works. If it doesn’t work or if you feel excess water in the iPhone, repeat steps 4, 5, and 6. Keep the iPhone inside of the rice for another 4-5 days and check again redoing the process until the iPhone works correctly.
8. This process works best if your iPhone was in water under 30 minutes. If the process does not work after multiple attempts, continue reading.
Apple’s Policy for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 Water Damage:
Apple has defined the spots where the water indicators are found on their website. iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 are equipped with Liquid Contact Indicators at the base of the headphone jack. iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 models will also have an indicator on the bottom of the dock-connector housing. These indicators are set off and flipped PINK the moment they come in direct exposure to water or even a liquid containing water. The indicators are specially designed not to be set off by humidity and temperature changes.
If the pink indicator is visible, it indicates that your service for liquid damage is not included through the Apple one (1) year limited warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan (APP). However, you may switch your malfunctioning phone with a refurbished iPhone for $199 from the Apple Store compared to the full priced iPhone. Also, if you purchased your iPhone 3GS/iPhone 4 from Best Buy or used a credit card that offers protection/insurance on your iPhone, you might be able to get some money back or even the iPhone for free. Check all of the options prior to your decision to repurchase a new iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4.
Having your iPhone Professionally Restored at a Third-Party Store
If your sensors are pink and your iPhone is simply not working despite trying to dry the iPhone of all water, you can try and take it into a repair shop. They will ask for a small service fee to investigate the damage and then present you with an estimate of the price it will cost to fix the iPhone. You can make a judgment if you wish to work with them to fix it. To choose a list of reputable third-party repair shops, check out the article in the author’s website.
A great way to safeguard your iPhone from potential damage is to purchase a solid case. To view a list of top rated cases, check out the author’s website.