I don't know why, but insuring an iPhone seems to be so complicated and expensive when it shouldn't be. To be honest I think a lot of it has to do with the major players (who will remain un-named!) Having a bit of a monopoly on the UK market. So what are the best ways to insure an iPhone? And what questions does the average Joe Bloggs ask? Let me help you with a few bits and pieces I have encountered from my experiences – lets hope you don't make the same mistakes I did!
1. Do I need to insure my iPhone? Its seems so expensive: Trust me, you need to make sure the phone is covered. The latest iPhone retails around £ 600, that's a lot of money!
2. Should I go with the high street providers insurance policy ?: Each to their own, but after I carried out research online I found quite a few identical policies for up to 50% cheaper.
3. How much per month is high street providers insurance policy ?: From my experience, to insure the iPhone 3Gs it was going to cost me £ 15 per month – outrageous considering the tariff was only £ 35 per month!
4. How do I research to find the best insurance products out there ?: Last time I checked 'Insuring an iPhone' typed into Google produced over 1,000,000 results! Its not really that hard, but may be a bit time consuming. Make sure the company is FSA regulated.
5. Can I use my home contents insurance policy to cover the iPhone ?: Yes, but make sure you check how much the policy will go up by, and also how much the lump sum payout will be. From my experience its very rare for the insurer to pay out the whole amount for a brand new iPhone 3Gs.